Credit Union Real Estate Loans Reach $134.0 Billion

Since 1990, the dollar value of credit unions' real estate loans has almost tripled, from $45.8 billion in 1990 to $134.0 billion in 2001. The chart below shows the changes in the dollar values of real estate loans held by credit unions over the past decade. Despite this increase, credit unions' estimated share of the $2.036 trillion in total mortgage originations nationwide remained flat at 2% (source: Mortgage Banker's Association).

 
 

Since 1990, the dollar value of credit unions' real estate loans has almost tripled, from $45.8 billion in 1990 to $134.0 billion in 2001. The chart below shows the changes in the dollar values of real estate loans held by credit unions over the past decade. Despite this increase, credit unions' estimated share of the $2.036 trillion in total mortgage originations nationwide remained flat at 2% (source: Mortgage Banker's Association).

First mortgages comprise about two-thirds of the total (67%), while other loans such as second mortgages, home equity loans and lines of credit account for the other third (33%). The composition of loans in the real estate loan portfolio has changed little over recent years.

 

 

 

March 4, 2002


Comments

 
 
 

No comments have been posted yet. Be the first one.